Additional Information

What are the information and documents to be provided when submitting the resale application?

You may be required to submit supporting documents for your resale application. The list of documents required will be reflected in the HDB Resale Portal when you submit your resale application. You can save your application as a draft, and retrieve your application for submission once you have prepared the necessary documents (saved in the Portable Document Format (PDF)).

Here is a list of documents that may be required for your application:

A copy of

  • Identity Card or Passport (for non-citizens)

  • Duplicate Lease, if it has been issued

  • Wife/ Husband’s endorsement on the resale application form and Spouse Consent to Resale form if she/ he is the occupant of the flat

  • Power of Attorney, if applicable

  • Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA), if applicable

  • Deed of Separation, Divorce Certificate, Decree Nisi/ Interim Judgement, Certificate Making Decree Absolute/ Certificate Making Interim Judgement Absolute, if applicable

  • A Letter of Consent from the Official Assignee, if applicable
If seller is deceased:
  • Death certificate of seller
  • Grant of Letter of Administration/ Probate, if applicable
  • Last will of the deceased, if applicable
  • Order of Court to sanction the sale, if applicable

If the documents to be submitted are in languages other than English, Chinese, Malay or Tamil, an official translation in English of these documents is required.

If the sellers are divorced or separated:
  • Deed of separation or Interim Judgment (previously known as Decree Nisi) and Certificate of
  • Making Interim Judgment Final (previously known as Decree Nisi Absolute)
  • Order of Court, if any
  • Any other documents of the divorce


If the above documents are in languages other than English, an official translation in English of these documents by a sworn interpreter of the Supreme Court or Subordinate Courts is required.


You may also be required to submit additional information and documents for verification.


Read on to find out what are some of the common information and documents required:






Application for Enhanced Contra Facility

The enhanced contra facility lets you sell your existing flat and use the proceeds for an HDB resale flat, reducing your cash outlay and mortgage.

If you intend to apply for the Enhanced Contra Facility, you will need to indicate your request in your application form. Find out more about the Enhanced Contra Facility

Temporary Extension of Stay for Sellers

The Temporary Extension of Stay lets sellers stay in their flat for up to 3 months after handing over the keys if the buyer agrees.

You and your co-sellers need to move out of the flat after the sale of the flat is legally completed. The buyers, who are now the new owners of the flat, will start a Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) from this legal completion date.


If you are unable to move out immediately upon the legal completion of the sale, you can arrange with the flat buyers, to extend your stay temporarily in the flat, for a period of up to 3 months after the legal completion.


Who can apply for the temporary extension of stay?


To be eligible for the temporary extension, you must:

  • Have exercised an Option To Purchase or signed a Sale and Purchase Agreement for a completed housing unit (can be another HDB flat or private residential property) in Singapore at the time of the resale application.

  • Not be subletting the whole flat at the time of resale application

  • Be the contra party if the transactions are under the Enhanced Contra Facility


    Documents required if you are applying for the temporary extension of stay

    You will need to submit one of the following documents as proof of purchase of a completed residential property in Singapore that is ready for occupation:

  • An Option to Purchase which has been exercised

  • A Sales and Purchase Agreement which has been executed

  • Other evidence of purchase, e.g. letter by solicitor confirming the taking possession or date of taking possession of property



    Conditions for flat buyers

    As legal owners of the flat, flat buyers must pay the following during the period of extension (the list may not be exhaustive):

  • Monthly instalments for housing loan

  • Service & Conservancy Charges (without rebates)


    The start point for the computation of MOP will be set back by the period of the temporary extension of stay.


Administrative fee and submission procedure

The temporary extension of stay is subject to the agreement of the flat buyers and the request is to be submitted to HDB at the time of the resale application. An administrative fee of $20 (inclusive of GST) is payable by the flat buyers after we have processed your application. 


Buyers and sellers may formalise their agreement on the terms of the extension of stay (the period of stay must not be more than 3 months after legal completion) and any monetary compensation from the flat sellers to the buyers. This will be a private arrangement between both parties. 


Expiry and termination of Temporary Extension of Stay

The extension of stay will automatically be terminated at the end of 3 months. Flat buyers must inform HDB via My HDBPage if they wish to terminate the extension earlier. The computation of the MOP for the new owners will commence after the extension of stay is terminated.

Appointing a Power of Attorney

When selling a flat, you may need a Power of Attorney if you are unable to attend to certain matters personally.

When is the Power of Attorney required?

A Power of Attorney (PoA) is a legal document that allows a person ('donor') to appoint another person ('attorney') to act on his behalf and in his name on matters specified in the PoA.


When buying or selling an HDB flat, certain matters must be attended to at different stages of the process. For example, signing of documents, such as:

  • Option to Purchase

  • Application forms

  • Declarations forms

  • Legal documents


The PoA is required if you are unable to attend to these matters personally. You are advised to consult a private solicitor in Singapore to prepare the PoA.


What must you and your private solicitor do?

Step 1: Preparing the PoA

You must get a solicitor to prepare the PoA.


Step 2: Signing the PoA

The PoA has to be signed by you in the presence of your solicitor. If you are already overseas, you must sign the PoA in the presence of one of the following parties:

  • Notary Public*

  • Singapore High Commission

  • Singapore Ambassador in the country of your stay


    *With effect from 1 March 2017, if you are using CPF monies to buy a flat, the CPF Board does not accept PoAs witnessed by overseas Notary Publics. The PoA must be witnessed and sealed/ stamped by an official from a Singapore Overseas Mission. You may visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website for more details on the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission.


    Step 3: Registering the PoA

    After your PoA has been signed, your solicitor will register the PoA with the High Court Registry.


    If you are appointing a PoA, you are required to indicate this in the application form and submit the following documents to us:


  • Certified true copy from the High Court + 2 photocopy

  • 2 certified true copies of the PoA by an Advocate and Solicitor

  • A letter from the Solicitor confirming that the standard format for PoA provided by HDB has been used

  • Certified true copy by an Advocate and Solicitor together with the computer printout with the High Court seal where POA has been registered through the Electronic Filing System.


    Important points to note:

  • If you are going overseas, you are advised to obtain the PoA before leaving the country

  • The PoA cannot be used for the signing of the following documents, which you must personally sign:

    • Application Form

    • Statutory Declarations (you must sign in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public)

    • Any undertakings

  • If you have submitted an original PoA or a certified true copy of the PoA from the High Court to us, it will be returned to your solicitor. This is after the Lease & Mortgage document has been registered with the Singapore Land Authority

  • However, certified true copies of the PoA by your solicitors will be retained by HDB

Engaging a Solicitor

You are required to indicate in your resale application whether you are appointing HDB solicitors, or private solicitors to act for you in the conveyancing of the resale transaction.

If you wish to engage HDB solicitors, you may refer to the breakdown of legal fees payable.


If you have an existing loan from the bank, you are required to engage a solicitor to act for the redemption of the bank loan as well. You may wish to approach your bank to find out the list of solicitors under their panel, and check with the solicitors to get an estimate of the legal fees payable.

If You Are An Undischarged Bankrupt

If you are a undischarged bankrupt, prior consent from the Official Assignee (OA) may be required before selling your flat

Under the Housing and Development Act, as long as any of the HDB flat owners is a

Singapore Citizen, the consent of the Official Assignee is not required in the event that the flat owners wish to sell the flat.


In cases where none of the flat owners are Singapore citizens, they will have to obtain the consent of the Official Assignee before they sell their flat.