Government agencies communicate via
websites (e.g. go.gov.sg/open).
Look for a
lock () or https:// as an added precaution. Share sensitive
information only on official secure websites.
Spalling concrete is a common issue for older buildings. It is largely caused by carbonation, a natural deterioration process. This causes the steel bars embedded in the ceiling slab to corrode, which in turn causes the concrete cover to crack and bulge. As the owner, you are responsible for the repair of any spalling concrete in your flat.
Spalling concrete is a surface maintenance problem that occurs in reinforced concrete structures. If attended to immediately, the building’s structural integrity will not be affected.
Here’s how spalling concrete can be prevented:
Paint protects your ceiling and helps to prevent carbonation. Ideally, you should paint your ceiling regularly.
Check your ceiling regularly for any holes or cracks. These should be sealed immediately to prevent moisture and carbon dioxide from entering the concrete. Similarly, seal up any holes drilled into the ceiling that are no longer in use (e.g. holes left after a ceiling fixture is removed).
A humid environment will speed up carbonation. To reduce the humidity in moisture-prone areas such as the kitchen, toilet, and bathroom, open the windows, vents, or doors when the areas are not in use.
With regular maintenance, spalling concrete within HDB flats will usually be minor and can be easy repaired. However, if the spalling concrete is left unattended over a long period, it will spread to a bigger area and weaken the building structure.
The steps below briefly show how spalling concrete is repaired. For more details, please watch this video.
While waiting for the repairs, do remove any loose spalling concrete to prevent injury to your family members.
You can engage any of the following contractors to repair spalling concrete in your flat.
Name of Contact Person and Mobile Number
Areas In Charge
EC Builders Pte. Ltd.
Mr Kevin Zuo
North & West Region of Singapore
Jacob General Contractors Pte. Ltd.
Mr James Tan
East Region of Singapore
Success Forever Construction & Maintenance Pte. Ltd.
Mr Jack Oei
Central and South Region of Singapore
1) Our list only serves as a guide and is not meant to be exhaustive or an endorsement of the contractor’s performance.
2) You might want to also consult sources such as the Yellow Pages (Commercial/ Industrial Guide) before engaging a contractor.
3) You may contact the contractor during working days, Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
4) If you would like to engage any of the above contractors, you will have to negotiate the price and extent of work with the contractors on a private basis.
5) You need to ensure that the contractors you engage exercise due care and diligence while carrying out the necessary repair work.
If you wish to change ownership of your flat without a sale (i.e. without monetary consideration), find out more about the types of ownership changes and the eligibility conditions.