How to Apply

Check out how you can apply for a change in the category of use for your HDB commercial unit, under the Planning Act. 

Rental shops

If you are a renting a commercial unit from us, you are required to submit your application online via GoBusiness Licensing for trades that require a change of use.

Kindly refer to the terms and conditions, application procedures, and administrative fees.

Sold shops

If you own an HDB commercial unit, you can submit a written request to:

Housing & Development Board
Properties & Land Group
480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh
Atrium, 3rd Storey
HDB Hub Singapore 310480

For units in HDB shopping and office complexes, please approach the respective Managing Agents.

What to submit

For trades such as family restaurant/cafe, a proposed operational set-up including your layout plan and perspective plan is required.

Regarding family restaurants, your proposed plan should take the following conditions into consideration:

  • The family restaurant must be operated by a single operator.
  • The common area is not used as an Outdoor Refreshment Area as such use is not allowed.
  • There is provision of at least 60% of the trading area for Internal Refreshment Area.
  • Where required, the existing tenant shall install exhaust system and grease trap and bear all costs and expenses of such installation.
  • All cooking and food preparation are carried out inside a full height walled-up central kitchen in the premises.
  • There is no partitioning of the premises into stalls (that is, there shall be no multiple stalls and cooking activities at counters in the premises) and
  • The proposed use/proposed plan must comply with the requirements of the competent authorities, including but not limited to HDB, the National Environment Agency, Fire Safety & Shelter Department etc.