Application to rent out Bedroom(s)
The eligibility of persons who wish to rent bedrooms are as follows:
a. Singapore Citizens; or
b. Singapore Permanent Residents; or
c. Non-citizens legally residing in Singapore who are holders of Employment Passes, S Passes, Work Permits*, Student Passes, Dependant Passes or Long-Term Social Visit Passes. These passes must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of application.
* Work Permit Holders from Construction, Marine and Process sectors must be Malaysians.
a. Non-Malaysian Work Permit Holders from the Construction, Marine and Process sectors; or
b. Owners of HDB flats or tenants of HDB public rental flats, except for
those who are divorced/legally separated. However, only one of the divorced/legally separated parties is eligible to rent bedroom from a flat owner;
Owners who are eligible to rent out their HDB flat. However, they must rent out their own flat within one month after they have rented an HDB flat from other flat owner. Failing which, they are required to resume occupation of their own flat; or
c. Owners of existing Executive Condominium units where the 5-year minimum occupation period has not been met; or
d. Tourist or foreigners who do not fall within paragraphs B1b. or B1c. above.
Flat owners may rent out their bedrooms to a corporate body to house its employees. However, they must:
a. ensure that the company allows only persons who meet the eligibility conditions of tenants as stated in paragraphs B1 and 2 to stay in the flat (Hereinafter referred to as the occupiers);
b. provide the particulars of the occupiers in the application form;
c. ensure that only authorised occupiers who are registered with HDB are staying in the flat;
d. ensure that the flat is occupied by the same occupiers for at least 6 months before they can be replaced by any new occupier(s);
e. ensure that any new occupiers authorised by the company meet the above eligibility conditions and are duly registered with the HDB. Flat owners must notify HDB of any change of particulars of the occupier and/or if any of the authorised occupiers move out of the flat, within 7 days of the occurrence. For the inclusion of any new occupiers, flat owners must obtain HDB's approval before the new occupiers may move into the flat;
f. ensure that non-citizen occupiers have lawfully entered Singapore and are lawfully allowed to remain in Singapore;
g. ensure that the occupiers comply with all the terms and conditions of renting out; and
h. ensure that the occupiers vacate the premises upon termination of rental or in the event that the approval to rent out the bedroom is revoked by HDB or in the event that the name(s) of the occupiers are deleted by HDB if it is subsequently discovered that any information provided in the application (e.g. the particulars of the occupiers) is inaccurate or untrue, or if the occupiers are ineligible.
1. The owners and their proposed tenants must satisfy the Housing & Development Board (HDB)'s eligibility requirements for renting out of the bedroom(s). The owners must not have committed any infringement of the terms of the lease or the Housing & Development Act at any time prior to or after the commencement or renewal of the rental.
3. If the owners fail to apply for and obtain approval for the renting out of bedroom(s) with HDB and/or inform HDB of subsequent changes (termination and renewal of rental and/or changes to their tenants or tenants’ particulars), the renting out of bedroom(s) will be deemed as unauthorized and HDB can take action against the owners under the Housing & Development Act which includes imposition of a penalty. For owners who repeatedly fail to comply, HDB may compulsorily acquire the flat.
4. The owners/administrators/executors/Public Trustee/Deputy appointed by the Court are responsible for :-
a. ensuring that only the bedrooms originally constructed by HDB are rented out to eligible persons, subject to the maximum number of persons allowed by HDB. All other parts of the flat (including partitioned rooms) cannot be used as bedrooms for rental;
b. ensuring that the maximum number of bedrooms originally constructed by HDB which are rented out does not exceed the maximum number allowed by HDB; all other parts of the flat (including partitioned rooms) cannot be used as bedrooms for rental;
c. ensuring that the bedrooms are rented out to eligible persons and only the registered persons are staying in the flat;
d. ensuring that there is no overcrowding and that the maximum number of persons* staying in the flat does not exceed the maximum number allowed by HDB;
e. ensuring that their tenants observe and comply with all the covenants in the lease and the provisions of the Housing & Development Act Cap 129 (including all amendments made hereto) and be responsible for all infringements committed by them;
f. ensuring that their non-citizen tenants have entered and are remaining in Singapore lawfully at all times while the rental is in force. The onus of verifying the tenants’ lawful presence in Singapore is on the owners/administrators/executors/Public Trustee/Deputy appointed by the Court; [If you are in doubt about the status of your prospective tenants, you may call the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) at Tel: 63916100 (immigration passes) or Ministry of Manpower (MOM) at Tel: 64385122 (work passes) during office hours. You may also submit a request via ICA's website at www.ica.gov.sg or MOM's website at www.mom.gov.sg to verify the status of a foreigner.]
g. ensuring that their tenants do not further rent out the bedrooms to other persons;
h. surrendering vacant possession of the flat to HDB in the event the flat is repossessed by HDB;
i. extending a copy of the terms and conditions of HDB's approval to all the tenants for their reference and compliance;
j. ensure compliance with all terms and conditions of the rental;
k. evicting their tenants upon notice from HDB; and
l. ensuring that their tenants do not misuse the flat and/or create nuisance to the neighbours.
* includes owners, authorized occupiers and tenants
5. The maximum period for renting out of bedroom(s) per application is 36 months or as stipulated in the approval letter, whichever is shorter. However, for rental involving non-Malaysian non-citizen tenants, the maximum period of rental per application is 24 months or as stipulated in the approval letter, whichever is shorter. A new application is required for each new or renewal of the rental.
6. Flat owners are not allowed to rent out their bedrooms on a short term basis. The period of rental to each tenant per application must not be less than 6 months.
7. Flat owners, who have earlier obtained approval to rent out the bedroom(s) to Singaporean or Malaysian tenants but subsequently include one or more non-Malaysian tenants, will have the remaining approved period revised to 24 months if the remaining approved period of rental is more than 24 months.
8. You and your family must continue to live in the flat with your tenants during the period of rental. In the event that you and your family do not live in the flat, your approval to rent out bedrooms shall be revoked automatically and the rental will be deemed as renting out of the flat without HDB’s approval and appropriate action will be taken against you under the Housing & Development Act.
9. The owners must ensure that their tenants vacate the premises upon expiry of the rental period or when the owners cease to be eligible to rent out the bedroom(s), whichever is earlier. They must immediately terminate the rental when they cease to be eligible to rent out the bedroom(s).
10. HDB's approval for the renting out of bedroom(s) will be automatically revoked upon a transfer of flat ownership. If the transferees (proposed owners) wish to rent out any bedroom(s) after the transfer, they are required to make a fresh application for HDB's approval after the legal completion of the transfer of flat ownership.
11. Any approval granted by the HDB for the renting out of bedroom(s) shall not prejudice HDB’s rights to take action for any infringement of the terms of the lease or the Housing & Development Act committed prior to and on/or after the submission of the application.
12. The HDB reserves the right to unilaterally vary or add to the conditions for renting out. Such varied or additional conditions shall take immediate effect and be binding on the owners/administrators/executors/Public Trustee/Deputy appointed by the Court. You may also refer to http://www.hdb.gov.sg/rentoutrooms-conditions for the latest terms and conditions for renting out of bedrooms.
13. HDB reserves the right to withdraw the approval for the renting out of bedroom(s) or delete the name(s) of any tenant(s) if it is subsequently discovered that any of the information given in the application (including the particulars of the tenants) is untrue, inaccurate, the flat owners have willfully suppressed any material information to HDB, or if the tenants are ineligible. In such situations, HDB shall not be liable for any cost or expenses that the flat owners may have incurred or damages suffered arising from the withdrawal of the approval or deletion of name(s) of tenant(s).
14. HDB reserves the right to rely on information and/or records of any other relevant authorities to obtain or verify any information relating to or in connection with the application. In this regard, the source of information will not be revealed to the applicants. HDB also reserve the right to write to and request information from all the applicants.
15. A non-refundable administrative fee of $10 per bedroom is payable. If the flat owner wishes to continue renting out the bedroom(s) after the expiry of the approved rental period, a new application form must be submitted. HDB will then re-assess the eligibility of the flat owners to rent out the bedroom(s). A fresh administrative fee is payable to HDB according to the prevailing rate at the time of the new application.
16. HDB's approval for the renting out of bedroom(s) is subject to the following:-
a. Approval for the renting out of bedroom(s) shall be automatically revoked if permission for the approved non-citizen tenant to remain in Singapore is revoked or withdrawn by any relevant authority, for any reason whatsoever.
b. Approval for the renting out of bedroom(s) may be revoked by HDB giving 2 weeks' notice if there is any breach of the terms and conditions for the renting out of bedroom(s), terms and conditions of the Lease Agreement, or provisions of the Housing and Development Act (Cap 129).
17 Any notice required to be served by HDB on the flat owner shall be deemed to be sufficiently served if:-
a. It is sent by ordinary or registered post to the flat owner(s) addressed to him at the flat or the address given by the Attorney/Administrator/Executor/Public Trustee/Deputy appointed by the Court, irrespective of whether or not the same is received and/or returned undelivered;
b. It is affixed to some conspicuous part of the flat; or
c. an e-mail is sent to the e-mail address indicated in this application.