Resale of Part-Share

Resale part-share refers to a change of flat ownership by way of a partial sale/ purchase between family members at a mutually agreed price. Monetary consideration is involved for such change in ownership.

Resale part-share is not allowed between a married couple.

Who can apply for resale part-share?

One or more flat owners can sell his/ her share of the flat ownership to other family members, subject to the buyers meeting HDB’s eligibility schemes and criteria.

In the case of a divorce, you can choose to buy your ex-spouse's share of the flat by way of a resale part-share if he/ she meets the eligibility criteria and the divorce is finalised after meeting the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) of the flat.


Eligibility criteria

Sellers and buyers have to meet these eligibility criteria to qualify for resale part-share.

  • Sellers (existing owners) must have already met the requisite MOP of the flat and are eligible to sell the flat in the open market.
  • Buyers (remaining owners and incoming owners, if any) must meet one of the prevailing housing schemes to buy over the outgoing owner’s share of the flat.

Additional criteria for divorce cases:

Buyers (remaining owners) can buy over their ex-spouses’ share of the matrimonial flat by way of resale part-share subject to the following conditions:

  • Divorce has to be finalised after the requisite MOP of the flat
  • Divorce documents must indicate resale part-share from one party to another

Conditions after resale part-share

After a resale part-share has been completed, buyers have to fulfil these conditions.

Minimum occupation period

Buyers have to fulfil a fresh MOP before they are eligible to:

  • Sell the flat in the open market
  • Rent out the flat
  • Invest in property when at least 1 of the owners is a Singapore citizen

Application Procedure

The application procedure for a resale part-share is similar to that of a normal resale transaction.

Buyers who need a housing loan must obtain a valid HDB Loan Eligibility (HLE) or a Letter of Loan Offer (LO) from the bank. The HLE letter or LO must be obtained before committing to the part-share purchase. More on financing the flat purchase.