Additional Information

What are the information and documents to be provided when submitting the resale application?

You may be required to submit supporting documents for your resale application. The list of documents required will be reflected in the HDB Resale Portal when you submit your resale application. If you need time to prepare the necessary documents, you may save your application as a draft, and retrieve your application for submission once you have prepared the necessary documents [saved in the Portable Document Format (PDF)].

The following are documents which you may require for your application:

A copy of

  • Identity Card or Passport (for non-citizens)

  • Letter of Offer from a bank or financial institution, if taking a housing loan from a bank or financial institution

  • Income documents for assessment of income ceiling, if taking the CPF Housing Grant/ Enhanced CPF Housing Grant (EHG), and/ or Proximity Housing Grant (PHG)

  • Power of Attorney, if applicable

  • Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA), if applicable

  • Marriage Certificate, if applicable

  • Child's Birth Certificate, if applicable

  • Deed of Separation, Divorce Certificate, Decree Nisi/ Interim Judgement, Certificate Making Decree Absolute/ Certificate Making Interim Judgement Absolute, if applicable

  • A Letter of Consent from the Official Assignee, if applicable

When submitting your resale application, you may also be required to provide additional information and documents for verification.

Read on to find out what are some of the common information and documents required:

Manner of Holding

If you are buying the resale flat jointly (up to a maximum of 4 owners), you will have to decide how you and the other co-owners want to hold the property, and indicate the manner of holding in your resale application. There are 2 types of joint ownership: joint tenancy and tenancy-in-common.

Joint tenancy

All the flat owners have an equal share on the flat regardless of how much each co-owner contributed to the purchase of the flat.

The right of survivorship applies here. This means that should any co-owner pass away, their interest in the flat would be automatically passed on to the remaining co-owners. This is regardless of whether a will had been made by the deceased co-owner.


Each co-owner holds a separate and definite share in the flat. Nevertheless, all the co-owners are entitled to use the whole flat, regardless of their share in the property.

The right of survivorship does not apply here. On the death of any co-owner, their interest in the flat will be distributed according to their will (if any). If there is no will, their interest in the flat will be distributed to the beneficiaries in accordance with the Intestate Succession Act.


Application for CPF Housing Grant/ Proximity Housing Grant

If you intend to apply for a CPF Housing Grant/ Proximity Housing Grant, you will need to specify which grant you are applying for in your resale application and provide your supporting income documents.

Find out more about the various Housing Grants available.


Application for Enhanced Contra Facility

With the Enhanced Contra Facility, you can sell your existing flat and at the same time, use the proceeds to purchase another resale HDB flat using the sales proceeds and refunded CPF monies.

The refunded CPF monies cannot be used for the payment of stamp duty and conveyancing fees. The ECF is jointly implemented by the CPF Board and HDB. 

With the ECF, you can: 

·        Reduce the cash outlay needed for your resale HDB flat  

·        Reduce the mortgage loan amount needed and the subsequent monthly repayments 

If you intend to apply for the Enhanced Contra Facility, you will need to indicate your request in your application form. 

Ownership of property

Flat buyers will need to dispose of their existing flat/ interest in residential properties in Singapore or overseas, within 6 months of buying a resale flat.

You (buyer), your spouse, co-applicants, and any occupiers listed in the resale application must declare your interest or ownership in any private property, when submitting your resale application. This includes private residential, commercial (including market/ hawker stalls), and industrial properties, both in Singapore and overseas.

If you own or have an interest in a private residential property, you are required to dispose of your interest or ownership in the private residential property within 6 months of buying a resale flat, and provide the documentary proof to our HDB Branch.

Appointing a Power of Attorney

When buying a resale flat, you may need a Power of Attorney if you are unable to attend to certain matters personally.

When is the Power of Attorney required?

A Power of Attorney (PoA) is a legal document that allows a person ('donor') to appoint  another person ('attorney') to act on his behalf and in his name on matters specified in the PoA.

When buying or selling an HDB flat, certain matters must be attended to at different stages of the process. For example, signing of documents, such as:

  • Option to Purchase

  • Application forms

  • Declarations forms

  • Legal documents

The PoA is required if you are unable to attend to these matters personally. You are advised to consult a private solicitor in Singapore to prepare the PoA.

What must you and your private solicitor do?

Step 1: Preparing the PoA

You must get a solicitor to prepare the PoA.

Step 2: Signing the PoA

The PoA has to be signed by you in the presence of your solicitor. If you are already overseas, you must sign the PoA in the presence of one of the following parties:

  • Notary Public*

  • Singapore High Commission

  • Singapore Ambassador in the country of your stay

*With effect from 1 Mar 2017, if you are using CPF monies to buy a flat, the CPF Board does not accept PoAs witnessed by overseas Notary Publics. The PoA must be witnessed and sealed/ stamped by an official from a Singapore Overseas Mission instead. You may visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website for more details on the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission.

Step 3: Registering the PoA

After your PoA has been signed, your solicitor will register the PoA with the High Court Registry.

If you are obtaining a PoA, you are required to indicate this in the application form and submit the following documents to us:

  • Certified true copy from the High Court + 2 photocopies
  • 2 certified true copies of the PoA registered with the High Court by an Advocate and Solicitor

  • A letter from the solicitor confirming that the standard format for PoA provided by HDB has been used

  • Certified true copy by an Advocate and Solicitor together with the computer printout with the High Court seal where PoA has been registered through the Electronic Filing System

Important points to note:

  • If you are travelling overseas, you are advised to obtain the PoA before leaving the country

  • You must personally sign the following documents:

    • Application Form

    • Statutory Declarations (you must sign in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public)

    • Any undertakings

  • If you have submitted an original PoA or a certified true copy of the PoA from the High Court to us, it will be returned to your solicitor. This is after the Lease & Mortgage document has been registered with the Singapore Land Authority

  • Certified true copies of the PoA by your solicitors will be retained by HDB

Engaging a solicitor

You are required to indicate in your resale application whether you are appointing HDB solicitors or your private solicitors to act for you in the conveyancing of the resale transaction.

You are required to indicate in your resale application whether you are appointing HDB solicitors or your private solicitors to act for you in the conveyancing of the resale transaction.

If you wish to engage HDB solicitor’s, you may refer to information on Legal fees for a breakdown of legal fees payable.

If you are an undischarged bankrupt

If you are a undischarged bankrupt, prior consent from the Official Assignee (OA) or the private trustee may be required when buying a flat

If you are a undischarged bankrupt, prior consent must be obtained from the Official Assignee (OA) or the private trustee, if

  • You are applying to buy an HDB flat that is bigger than a 5-room flat or a 3Gen-flat.

  • You are buying any flat type with a net purchase price of $500,000 or above, after taking into account any HDB subsidies or levy.

You do not need to seek prior consent from the OA or the private trustee to be listed as an occupier of a flat.

You are required to indicate in your application form whether you are an undischarged bankrupt and whether you have obtained the written consent from the OA to buy the flat.

Temporary Extension of Stay

When the resale flat transaction is legally completed, the flat sellers are required to move out. Flat sellers may arrange with their flat buyers, to extend their stay temporarily in the flat, for a period of up to 3 months from the completion of the resale transaction.

To ease sellers’ transition to their next home, flat sellers may arrange with their flat buyers to extend their stay temporarily in the flat, for a period of up to 3 months after the legal completion of the resale transaction.

Flat sellers are eligible to apply for the temporary extension of stay if:

  • They have exercised an Option To Purchase or signed a Sale and Purchase Agreement for a completed housing unit (can be another HDB flat or private residential property) in Singapore at the time of the resale application

  • They are not renting out the whole flat at the time of resale application

  • They are the contra party if the transactions are under the Enhanced Contra Facility

How it affects you

If you agree to the temporary extension of stay, the computation of the commencement of the MOP will be set back by the period of the Temporary Extension of Stay. As legal owners of the flat, you must pay the following during the period of extension (the list may not be exhaustive):

  • Monthly instalments for housing loan

  • Service & Conservancy Charges (without rebates)

Administrative fee and submission procedure

The temporary extension of stay is subject to the agreement of the flat buyers and the request is to be submitted to HDB at the time of the resale application. An administrative fee of $20 (inclusive of GST) is payable by the flat buyers after we have processed your application.

Buyers and sellers may formalise their agreement on the terms of the extension of stay, and if any monetary compensation is required from the flat sellers. This will be a private arrangement.

Expiry and termination of Temporary Extension of Stay

The extension of stay will be automatically terminated at the end of 3 months. Flat buyers must inform HDB via My HDBPage if they terminate the extension earlier. The computation of the MOP for the new owners will commence after the extension of stay is terminated.

For more information on the Temporary Extension of Stay, please refer to:-