You May Want to Know

Back Left arrow icon

For building/ upgrading/ renovation works

Q: Can I carry out renovation works for my flat?

From 15 June 2020, all renovation works are allowed to be carried out, subject to BCA’s approval. Companies performing renovation works must comply with BCA’s COVID-Safe Workforce and COVID-Safe Worker Accommodation and Transport criteria, as well as Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) Safe Management Measures at workplaces. Companies must also ensure that they have a valid renovation permit issued by HDB (where applicable) upon receiving BCA’s approval, if they have not previously obtained a renovation permit from HDB.

The resumption of renovation works is dependent on the companies’ availability of manpower and supplies. Homeowners are advised to check with the companies on their manpower and supply availability. For more details, please refer to BCA’s press release.

Q: When will HIP works resume? 

Upgrading works will not resume for the time-being. HDB is working with BCA and our contractors to assess when and how works can resume in a safe and calibrated manner.

Q: I need assistance with a maintenance issue in my home (e.g. leaking tap/ faulty lockset etc). Where can I get help?

Home owners are responsible for maintaining the interior of their flats, including the fixtures and fittings. If you require professional help, you can engage your own repair contractor, or consider one from among the list of contractors on our Minor Repairs page.

Q: When will GRA* repair works resume?
[*Goodwill Repair Assistance scheme for ceiling leak and spalling concrete]

Contractors will have to demonstrate that they are able to implement the requisite safeguards and obtain BCA’s approval before they can commence work. We will make arrangements with flat owners to carry out the repair works once the contractors have obtained the necessary approvals.

Q: How will HDB prioritise which repair works are to be done first?

HDB will assess each request on a case-by-case basis and accord priority to those that require urgent repair.  Flat owners who wish to carry out the repair works earlier may consider privately engaging a contractor, subject to approval from relevant authorities.

Q: I have sold my flat and will be moving into another flat.  However, I am unable to proceed with renovation works for my next flat and am in urgent need of housing. Can HDB help me?

Flat owners can arrange with the buyers for a temporary extension of stay in the flat for up to 3 months after the resale completion. This is a private arrangement between the buyer and the seller, and the application must be submitted to HDB at

Alternatively, you could discuss with the buyer of your flat to defer the resale completion. If both parties mutually agree to the deferment, please inform your Customer Relations Manager.

You could also consider moving in with relatives or renting from the open market. If you are still unable to find alternative housing arrangements, we will assess whether an interim rental flat can be arranged, on a case-by-case basis, subject to the availability of units. You may submit your request to us via the e-feedback form at or contact our Branch Service Line at 1800-225-5432.

For financing a flat purchase & mortgage assistance

Q:  I have recently applied for an HDB Loan Eligibility (HLE) letter. Will HDB still be processing my application?

We will process your application and keep you informed of the outcome within 14 days of receiving the full set of documents.

If you need to submit outstanding documents, you can do so via our e-Service, MyDoc@HDB using your SingPass and indicate the HLE letter reference number.

Q: I need help with deferring my mortgage payment. What can I do?

We have various financial assistance measures to help homeowners who may be facing difficulties with paying their monthly mortgage. You can contact us at 1800-225-5432 (8am to 5pm on weekdays) to discuss your needs.

For renting a flat from HDB

Q:  I have recently applied for an HDB rental flat. Will HDB be processing my application?

We will process your application and inform you of the outcome within 3 weeks of receiving the full set of documents. 

Q:  I have received notification that I will be allocated a rental flat. When will I be able to collect the keys? 

We will schedule an appointment for you to collect the keys to your rental flat. In the meantime, you may contact us via the e-feedback form if you have any enquiries.

For businesses

Q: I run a small business from my home under the Home-Based Small Scale Business Scheme. Can I resume my business in Phase Two of re-opening?

From 19 June 2020, all businesses under the Home-Based Small Scale Business Scheme will be allowed to resume. Home-based businesses that involve customers entering the flat for a prolonged period should also deploy SafeEntry to facilitate contact tracing. Please refer to the Ministry of Health’s press release and SafeEntry for details.

Q: I am a tenant at a shop or office managed by HDB. Are there any assistance measures available for businesses during this challenging period?

The Government has announced several measures as part of the Unity, Resilience, Solidarity, and Fortitude Budgets to help cushion the impact of COVID-19 on businesses, including enhanced rental rebates. Qualifying tenants in HDB shops and social-communal facilities will receive four months of rental rebates in total, while qualifying tenants in HDB offices will receive two months of rental rebate in total. 

Tenants may also approach HDB to discuss options for more flexible rental payments such as instalment plans, if needed. Each request will be assessed individually, taking into account the business’s circumstances. 

In addition, the Government provides holistic support to businesses, including the Temporary Bridging Loan and Enhanced SME Working Capital Loan Programmes, and the Jobs Support Scheme which provides wage support to employers, to help them retain their local employees. The Government will also be allocating funds to support businesses in their digital transformation, such as through the Digital Resilience Bonus and a bonus of $300 per month over five months to encourage more stallholders to use e-payments.

Should you wish to know more about current Government Assistance Schemes which can help to improve cash flow (e.g. Enhanced Enterprise Financing Scheme - SME Working Capital Loan, Corporate Income Tax Rebate) and transform your business (e.g. GoBusiness, Market Readiness Assistance), please refer to the Singapore Budget Website for more details.  

For more details on the Government Assistance Schemes, you can visit the following sites:

Q: I am a tenant at a shop or office managed by HDB. Can I resume my business in Phase Two of re-opening?

Permitted businesses will be allowed to gradually resume activities in a phased manner. For the full list of businesses that may operate from 19 June 2020, please refer to

Q: Am I able to resume renovation works for my commercial property in Phase Two of re-opening?

From 15 June 2020, all renovation works will be allowed to resume, subject to BCA’s approval.

For new renovation works at HDB commercial units, applicants are required to apply for HDB’s renovation permit (where necessary) via the CORENET system. A copy of BCA’s approval has to be submitted together with the other documents via the CORENET system. For suspended renovation applications that were approved by HDB before the Circuit Breaker period, applicants do not need to re-submit to HDB for approval.

For more details, please refer to BCA’s press release.


For Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme (SERS)

Q: How can I arrange an inspection to return my SERS flat?

You can arrange an inspection to return your SERS flat through My HDBPage or 1800-866-3070.   

Q: Can I extend the deadline to return my SERS flat, as I need more time for the renovation of my new home?

HDB will assess your request, taking into consideration your circumstances. Please contact your SERS Journey Manager to discuss your needs. You may also call our SERS enquiry line at 1800-866-3070.