Temporary Extension of Stay for Sellers
You and your co-sellers need to move out of the flat after the sale of the flat is legally completed. The buyers, being the new owners of the flat, will start a Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) from this legal completion date.
If you are not be able to move out immediately upon the legal completion of the sale, you can arrange with the flat buyers, to extend your stay temporarily in the flat, for a period of up to 3 months after the legal completion.
Conditions for flat sellers
To be eligible for the temporary extension, you must:
- Have committed to buy a completed housing unit (can be another HDB flat or private residential property) in Singapore at the time of the resale application, i.e. exercised an Option To Purchase or signed a Sale and Purchase Agreement
- Not be renting out the whole flat at the time of resale application
- Be the contra party if the transactions are under the Enhanced Contra Facility
Conditions for flat buyers
As legal owners of the flat, flat buyers must pay the following during the period of extension (the list may not be exhaustive):
- Monthly instalments for housing loan
- Service & Conservancy Charges (without rebates)
The start point for the computation of MOP will be set back by the period of the temporary extension of stay.
Administrative fee and submission procedure
The temporary extension of stay is subject to the flat buyers agreement and the request is to be submitted to HDB at the time of the resale application. An administrative fee of $20 (inclusive of GST) is payable by the flat buyers during the First Appointment.
Buyers and sellers may formalise their agreement on the terms of the extension of stay (the period of stay must not be more than 3 months after legal completion) and any monetary compensation by the flat sellers to the buyers. This will be a private arrangement and they do not have to show their agreement to HDB.
Expiry and termination of Temporary Extension of Stay
The extension of stay will be terminated automatically at the end of 3 months. Flat buyers must inform HDB via My HDBPage or contact a HDB Branch if they terminate the extension earlier. The computation of the MOP for the new owners will commence after the extension of stay is terminated.