Eligibility conditions for flat owners
You can rent out your spare bedrooms if you own a 3-room or bigger flat. If you own a 1 or 2-room flat, you are not allowed to rent out your bedroom.
You are required to seek HDB's approval before the commencement of the tenancy. You must also inform us of any subsequent changes of any tenants’ particulars or when any of their tenants move out of the flat within 7 days of the occurrence. For inclusion of new proposed tenants, flat owners must obtain HDB’s approval before their new tenants may move into the flat. Read more about the application requirements.
Applications to rent out bedrooms can be submitted online via HDB’s e-services. The outcome of the application will be made known immediately. An administrative fee is payable with each application, at $10 per bedroom.
Number of bedrooms and occupants allowed for renting out of bedrooms
The number of bedrooms that flat owners can rent out and the maximum number of occupants allowed in each flat depends on the flat type as shown below:
|Flat Type||Maximum Number of Bedrooms^ Allowed to Rent Out||Maximum Number of Occupants* Allowed in Each Flat|
|4-room and bigger||2||6|
* Occupants include owners, authorised occupiers, and tenants.
^ Only bedrooms originally constructed by HDB can be rented out. All other parts of the flat (including partitioned rooms) cannot be used as bedrooms for tenants.
Eligibility conditions for persons who wish to rent bedroom
Persons who wish to rent bedrooms must be:
- Singapore Citizens
- Singapore Permanent Residents
- Non-citizens legally residing in Singapore who are holders of Employment Passes, S Passes, Work Permits, Student Passes, Dependant Passes, or Long-Term Social Visit Passes. These passes must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of application
- Work Permit holders from the construction, marine and process sectors must be Malaysians
- Tourists are not allowed to rent any HDB flat/ bedroom.
Companies renting the flat or bedroom for their employees must ensure that the individuals meet our eligibility conditions for tenants.
You may verify the authenticity and validity of your tenant’s documents online:
Tenancy/ property ownership status
Tenants must not be tenants of HDB public rental flats or owners of other HDB flats unless they are:
- Divorced/ legally separated. In this case, only 1 party is eligible to rent a bedroom from a flat owner
- Owners who are eligible to rent out their HDB flat. However, they must rent out their own flat within a month after they have rented an HDB flat from another flat owner
Tenants must not be owners of Executive Condominium units where the 5-year MOP has not been met.