Here is an overview of some important points to note before submitting your application to HDB to be listed in the Directory of Renovation Contractors (DRC).
Under Rule 6 of the Housing and Development (Renovation Control) Rules 2006, only contractors listed in the DRC may:
- Carry out renovations in HDB flats
- Offer/ Undertake to personally carry out renovation work
- Advertise or hold himself out as being listed in the DRC or as a person legally permitted to personally carry out renovation work in an HDB flat. For example, a contractor not listed in the DRC is not permitted to:
- Claim that he can renovate HDB flats
- Advertise/ promote renovation services for HDB flats by the following means (including but not limited to):
- Posting on websites and social media networks (e.g. Facebook)
- Distributing printed collaterals
- Displaying information in any business premises
Any person who commits the abovementioned offences shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000.
Crime prevention during renovation work
We recommend that renovation contractors take the following crime prevention measures when carrying out renovation works:
- Use close-shackled locks to secure the flat, instead of number locks
- Do not leave the flat unattended, even if only for a short while. Ensure that all the doors, windows, and openings are secured before leaving the flat
- Check the Singapore Police Force and National Crime Prevention websites for further crime prevention advice