Eligibility conditions for flat owners
Only Singapore Citizen flat owners can rent out the entire HDB flat. Singapore Permanent Resident flat owners cannot do so.
Minimum Occupation Period (MOP)
Flat owners can rent out their flat after fulfilling the 5-year MOP. If the flat is non-subsidised (purchased from the open market without a Housing Grant) and purchased before 30 August 2010, the MOP is 3 years.
- If they are the original purchaser, the MOP is computed from the date of purchase of the flat
- If there has been a transfer of flat ownership, the MOP is computed from the effective date of the transfer of flat ownership, or the date the owner was included as an authorised occupier of the flat
- After a resale of part-share, the owners have to meet a fresh MOP computed from the effective date of resale.
Flat owners can print a confirmation of their eligibility to rent out the whole flat through My HDBPage (Log in with their SingPass and go to: My Flat > Purchased Flat – Renting Out > Renting Out of Flat.).
Non-Citizen Quota for Renting Out of Flat
Flat owners will have to consider the Non-Citizen Quota for Renting Out of Flat if any tenant renting the flat is a non-Malaysian non-citizen (Singapore Permanent Resident or foreigner). The quota is to help maintain a good ethnic mix in HDB estates. Malaysians are excluded from this quota because of their close cultural and historical similarities with Singaporeans.
The quota is set at 8% at the neighbourhood level and 11% at the block level, and applicable if any tenant renting the whole flat is a non-Malaysian non-citizen. If the quota is reached, only Singaporeans and Malaysians can rent a flat in that neighbourhood/ block. Note that this quota does not apply to the renting out of bedrooms.
Flat owners may use our e-Service to check if their flat can be rented out to non-Malaysian non-citizens. The e-Service can also be accessed via the HDB Map Services.
Eligibility conditions for tenants
Tenants must be any of the following:
- Singapore Citizens
- Singapore Permanent Residents
- Non-citizens legally residing in Singapore who are holders of Employment Passes, S Passes, Work Permits, Student Passes, Dependant Passes, or Long-Term Social Visit Passes. These passes must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of your application
- Work Permit holders from the construction, manufacturing, marine, and process sectors must be Malaysians
- Tourists are not allowed as tenants of HDB flats
Companies renting the flat or bedroom for their employees must ensure that the individuals meet our eligibility conditions for tenants.
Flat owners may verify the authenticity and validity of their tenant’s documents online:
Maximum number of tenants
The maximum number of tenants allowed in each flat is:
Total Number of Tenants
1-room and 2-room
3-room and bigger
Tenancy/ property ownership status
Tenants must not be tenants of public rental HDB flats or owners of other HDB flats unless they are:
- Divorced/ legally separated. In this case, only 1 party can rent a HDB flat from another flat owner
- Owners who are eligible to rent out their whole flat. However, they must rent out their own flat within a month after they have rented an HDB flat from another flat owner
Tenants must not be the owner of an Executive Condominium where the 5-year MOP has not been met.