Renting Out of Living Quarters
You can rent out the living quarters of HDB commercial units for residential use or commercial use. Please note that there are no living quarters for units in HDB shopping complexes.
From 1 May 2018, the maximum number of (sub)tenants/occupiers permitted for 3-room and bigger living quarters is six (6). The maximum number of (sub)tenants/occupiers for 1-room and 2-room living quarters is four (4). The rental period for each (sub)tenant must be more than 6 months; short-term stays are not allowed.
The (sub)tenants must be:
- Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents; or
- Non-Citizens who are residing legally in Singapore, and holding Employment Passes, S-Passes, Work Permits*, Student Passes, Dependant Passes, or Long-Term Social Visit Passes. There passes must have a validity period of at least 6 months as at the date of application to HDB**
When you rent out your living quarters, you also need to ensure your (sub)tenants do not cause any nuisance, such as noise, or other inconveniences to neighbouring units. Applications to rent out the living quarters may be submitted online via GoBusiness Licensing. An administrative fee of $100 (excluding GST) is payable with each application.
Note: Where the renting out of an HDB commercial property is by an owner, the word 'tenant' shall apply. Otherwise, the word 'subtenant' shall apply.
Living quarters can be rented out for commercial use, subject to the following terms and conditions:
- The area to be rented out must not be more than 50% of the trading area
- The rent is subject to HDB's revision (for rental shops)
- Any change of use of the living quarters for commercial purpose is on a temporary basis
- The change must comply with statutory requirements (e.g. fire safety, structural safety)
- Using GoBusiness Licensing (for rental shops)
- Writing to us, and include the details of the tenants (for sold shops)
These are the administrative fees:
- $100 (excluding GST) for the balance term
- $200 (excluding GST) for a fresh term and a change of use of living quarters to non-residential use