‘Housing Scene’ brings you a quick round-up of HDB’s latest news, policies and initiatives. This month, we share some highlights of HDB’s work in the past year, how you can keep your homes safe during the upcoming festive period, and our new Humans of the Heartlands series on MyNiceHome. Stay connected with us as we deliver the newsletter directly to you every month. If you have any feedback, tell us here.
From all of us at Housing Scene, here’s wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
HDB’s 2019 Year-in-Review
From providing a roof over your head, to well-designed flats and smart homes of the future, HDB’s mission remains the same over the decades – to create a quality living environment for Singaporeans to call home.
As the year draws to an end, here are some highlights of our work in 2019:
- We completed more than 15,800 flats comprising BTO and rental units, as well as replacement units under the Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme (SERS)
- We enhanced policies and schemes to help different segments of flat owners, including:
- The Enhanced Housing Grant (EHG), which allows eligible first-timers to enjoy grants of up to $80,000 when they buy a home for life
- Higher income ceilings, to provide more Singaporeans access to affordable housing options
- The extension of the Lease Buyback Scheme to 5-room and larger flats, to enable seniors to supplement their retirement income while continuing to live in their home for life
- Oasis Terraces, our first New Generation Neighbourhood Centre, officially opened its doors earlier this year. Its thoughtful design in integrating facilities such as a polyclinic, retail and dining options, and community spaces, saw Oasis Terraces clinching the top honours in the Mixed-use category at the World Architecture Festival 2019
- Our pursuit for innovations in design and research were also recognised locally and internationally, and have won us numerous awards such as:
- The President’s Technology Award for our work with A*STAR on the Integrated Environmental Modeller, which enables urban planners to optimise building layouts and orientations
- Awards from the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat for The Pinnacle@Duxton and Kampung Admiralty, which recognise projects for the advancement of urban environment and sustainability
- Awards from the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA) Asia-Pacific Landscape Awards Ceremony for Oasis Terraces, Woodleigh Neighbourhood, Waterway Terraces I & II, Keat Hong Neighbourhood, which honour outstanding landscape architecture
Looking ahead, HDB will be launching between 16,000 to 17,000 new flats in 2020. This includes projects in the up-and-coming “Forest Town” of Tengah, and mature estates such as Tampines and Toa Payoh. We’re also looking forward to the completion of the first projects in Bidadari, and our first Smart and sustainable precinct in Punggol Northshore.
We will continue to prioritise the housing needs of Singaporeans, and strive to provide affordable and quality housing to all.
Super Seniors in the Heartlands
Handstands, balancing stunts, and leap-falls – these are a snapshot of the routine this group of seniors practise during their parkour class. Yes, you read that right – seniors doing parkour!
Known as “parkour aunties”, this group of active seniors is well-known for practicing parkour twice a week at a public shared space in Bishan. But Bishan is not their only parkour spot; they practise at parks and public spaces, and have turned our HDB estates into their own giant playground! Find out how these seniors bonded over the art of parkour.
For more of such heartwarming everyday stories of the people living in our HDB estates, check out the #HumansoftheHeartland series on MyNiceHome! Read about how our #HDBeautiful neighbourhoods and playgrounds inspire handicraft pieces, and why a Bedok resident chose to set up her barber shop in the heartlands.
#HDBeSafe This Festive Season
With the year-end festivities fast approaching, why not take some time to check that your home is in tip-top condition, and ready for a party?
From the hinges of your windows to your doors, it’s important to check for any loose screws to fix or replace. Simply follow the 3 easy steps of check, clean, and change to ensure safety within the home! Here’s how you can maintain your windows:
Also, check out our tips on how you can maintain your floor tiles and keep them sparkly after that Christmas party, and how you can breeze through to welcome 2020!
If you’re looking for more maintenance tips to keep your home in tip-top condition, our homecare guide will come in handy. And if you can’t fix it yourself, don’t worry — you can engage a repair contractor listed here for help.
To subscribe or update your preferences, please visit HDB eAlert Service.