• I am a single parent. Are there any housing measures to help me and my child get a flat?

    We have measures to help different households with their housing needs, according to their circumstances. This includes households headed by single parents who are divorced, widowed or unmarried.

    Housing Measures to Help Divorced and Widowed Parents in Transition

    For single parents who face changes in housing arrangements following a divorce or the loss of their spouse, we help them in the following ways:

    • Policies for Smoother Housing Transition: Both parties in a divorce can apply to buy a subsidised flat, upon obtaining the Interim Judgement of divorce and resolving ancillary matters on their matrimonial property and custody of their children. Like other flat applicants, divorced and widowed parents buying a new flat from HDB with their children can also qualify for schemes such as the Assistance Scheme for Second-Timers (Divorced/ Widowed Parents) (ASSIST) and Parenthood Provisional Housing Scheme (PPHS), if they meet the applicable eligibility criteria (such as citizenship and income ceiling).
    • Priority Schemes: Under the Assistance Scheme for Second-Timers (Divorced/ Widowed Parents) (ASSIST), a portion of 2-room Flexi and 3-room Build-To-Order (BTO) flats in non-mature estates is set aside for divorced/ widowed parents with child(ren) aged 18 and below.
    • Access to Housing Subsidies: Divorced and widowed persons buying a new flat from HDB with their children can qualify for Enhanced CPF Housing Grant (EHG) , if they are first-timers. If they wish to buy a resale flat, they can qualify for the CPF Housing Grant and EHG. They can also qualify for a Proximity Housing Grant (PHG), as long as they have not previously taken the PHG.
    • Accommodation in the Interim: Single parents who need housing while waiting for their BTO flats to be completed can apply for a temporary rental flat under the Parenthood Provisional Housing Scheme (PPHS), if they meet the eligibility criteria.
    • Public Rental Housing: For needy low-income parents who have no other housing options and family support, HDB can assist them with public rental flats.

    Supporting Housing Needs of Unmarried Parents 

    Unmarried parents who require housing assistance can approach HDB, and we will assess each request holistically, based on their individual circumstances. Our key consideration is to ensure that their children have a stable home to grow up in and a good start in life. 

    We can exercise flexibility in allowing unmarried parents aged 21 and above to buy up to a 3-room flat in a non-mature estate from HDB, or a resale flat. Those who cannot afford to buy a flat may be considered for public rental flats.

    Beyond providing housing options, HDB also works with social service agencies to help unmarried parents who require further assistance such as employment support, financial assistance, and counselling.

     How We Help Single Parents

    Case Example: Divorcee
    Mdm X, who divorced in 2015, has custody of her two children (aged 10 and 12). Following the divorce, she applied for a 3-room BTO flat under ASSIST in 2016. She successfully balloted for a flat on her first try and moved into her new flat in 2020.
    Case Example: Unmarried Parent
    Miss Y, who is below 35 years old and not married, is the mother of a young daughter. She sought HDB’s help to buy a flat, as she was unable to continue living with her parents in their flat due to lack of space. HDB assessed that she could afford a 3-room flat in a non-mature estate, and she went on to apply for one during a sales exercise. She successfully booked a unit, and moved into her new flat in 2021.