Close mobile menu Close
about us masterhead

About Us

Ang Mo Kio

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Facts and Figures

Ang Mo Kio is home to an estimated 143,800 HDB residents, and there are 50,733 flats under our management (as of 31 March 2018).

History of Ang Mo Kio

Ang Mo Kio in Hokkien literally means the ‘red-haired man’s bridge’, where ang mo is a colloquial term for a Caucasian person. The name makes reference to the bridge over Kallang River in the area, built by Johnson Turnball Thomson, Government Surveyor of the Straits Settlement from 1841 to 1853. Another saying was that there were 9 bridges connecting the rural area back in those days, earning it the name ‘Kow Tiao Kio’ or Hokkien for ‘9 bridges’.

The town was largely uninhabited until the rubber boom in the beginning of the 20th century, which brought cultivation and habitation to the Chinese district. Ang Mo Kio comprised mainly farms and attap houses scattered among rubber estates.

Evolving Through The Years

Developed in the 1970s, Ang Mo Kio was the seventh new town to be built in Singapore. Ang Mo Kio is also where the town council concept was launched as a pilot project in 1986.

Today, the town offers a wide array of facilities for a ‘live, work, play, and learn’ environment. New residential projects are being introduced in the area, interweaving the old and the new to cater to the changing needs of residents, as well as to continuously rejuvenate the town. An example is Ang Mo Kio Court, a BTO development launched in 2016, the first in the town to have Three-Generation (3G) flats. These 3G flats are built with elderly-friendly facilities to support multi-generation families. In addition, Ang Mo Kio is being transformed into Singapore’s first walking and cycling town as part of the government’s plan for a car-lite Singapore.

Notable Places

A distinctive landmark in Ang Mo Kio is the circular point block at the entrance of the town from Upper Thomson Road. Until today, the block remains the only HDB block with this distinctive circular design.